If you’re looking for a Caribbean island to relax and do nothing, then look no further than Little Corn Island (LCI). It has the perfect mix of long beaches, delicious seafood, laid-back locals and perfect weather (there are small showers every day, but they go over so fast you’ll forget about them after 5 mins). At the same time it requires just enough effort to get there to keep the mass tourism away and the prices fairly low (you take a small plane or ferry from the mainland to Corn Island, and then a boat (Panga ride) to LCI).
We were looking for the perfect spot in Central America to do nothing, and we believe we have found it here. That’s why we decided to change our return tickets to Managua and stay nearly twice as long (12 days).
To elaborate on “doing nothing”, Mathias has spent the time diving and earning his Advanced Open Water (AOW) certification with Dolphin Dive Little Corn (good dive shop!), while Tuva has been doing Yoga and having massages. There have also been a lot of sun-bathing, reading, swimming and running on the beach, not to mention eating a lot of delicious seafood (lobster season!). There are also possibilities for snorkeling, fishing and kiting, for those who want to.
Mathias had some great dives, where the night dive was the best, with 3 nurse sharks, octopus, turtle, lobsters and a plethora of various fish. It was so good that he decided to do another night dive after the AOW, that time with a lot of bioluminescence – like swimming among the stars. All in all some great diving experiences!
Here are some of our tips and top picks for Little Corn Island:
– Book an open return ticket (you’ll probably want to stay longer)
– Stay on the east side for a nice ocean breeze to cool you off and keep most of the bugs away
– Backpacker: Three Brothers – private room for $200 a month (that’s less than $7 a night!) or a tent space for $3, plus they have a kitchen to cook your pasta bolognese ($)
– Flashpacker: Grace’s Cool Spot – we got a private cabana w/bathroom for $30 a night (haggled down because we committed for 4 days) ($$)
– Cashpacker (I just made that up): Little Corn Beach and Bungalow (LCBB) – really nice bungalows and a good step up in quality and price ($$$)
– Rosa’s – a very filling breakfast for $3 including fruit and coffee/tea (try their french toast on coconut bread! mmm..) ($)
– Turned Turtle at LCBB ($$)
– Tranquilo – excellent fish tacos! ($$)
– Desideri – good Italian food, Vietnamese iced coffe and best wifi-spot on the island ($$)
– Turned Turtle at LCBB – serves some of the best food on the island and includes a starter, salad/soup and dessert in their prices ($$$)
– Habana Libre – good Cuban flavors and big lobster portions! ($$)
More photos from Little Corn Island and the rest of our travels in Nicaragua here.